Equipment’s and Tools used in the Kitchen
An effective and efficient kitchen is judged with its equipment’s and tools apart from the manpower. A well equipped kitchen will always meet the requirements of the outlet with full effectiveness. As the equipment’s and tools are essential for the kitchen their upkeep is also very important. Proper Care and maintenance will not only put them in order all the time, but also make the production easy and smooth. The equipment’s are called silent workers as they do want any salary but only the care and maintenance.
Classification of Equipment:
Broadly the equipment’s may be divided into following heads:
– Large equipment’s
– Small equipment’s
These are heavy, big or large equipment’s fitted in the kitchen for the ease of actual production. Some of them are:
1. Fridges (reach-in-coolers) Static cold
2. do Convection cold
3. Deep freezer Chest type static cold
4. Deep freezer upright type static cold
5. Refrigerated counters static cold
6. Refrigerated marbles for pastry static cold
7. Ice cubes machine.
8 Ice cream Display cum Dispencer
9 Iced water fountains
10 Walk in cold rooms convectors cold
11 Walk in freezers convection cold
12 Blast freezer
13 Water coolers
Hot and Mechanical Section
17. Steam jackets
18. Tilting Fans
19. Deep Fat Fryers
22. Bain Marie
23. Working Tables
24. Grilles and Salamander
25. Large Dosa Hot Plates
26. Potato Peelers
27. Food Slicers/Choppers
28. Food Mixers
29. Exhausting Hoods and Filters
30. Dish Washing Machines
1. Thermometers (Sugar and Meat)
6. Cutting boards
7. Frying pans
8. Deep frying pans
12. Perforated Spoons
13. Frying spoons
14. Rolling pins
19. Chinois (conical Strainer)
20. Mandolin (Slicer)
24. Small steamers/poachers
Care & Maintenence :
Do’s and Don’ts for Cold Section equipments
There are rules to follow when using cold production equipment.
1. Reach in Coolers:
– Do not overload. Leave air circulation between products.
– Do not leave door opened for a long period ~ Store strong smelling products separately or well covered
– Defreeze regularly to save compressor engine and increase fridge performance.
– When not in use for long time, switch off and door opened.
2. Chest Freezers:
They are not meant to deep freeze but to frozen products make sure the inside is always free of ice or frost.
Prefer a chest type to an upright type-Less cold losses.
3. Refrigerated Marble Top:
Same precautiOns as for coolersDo not use a knife on the marble to avoid scratches.
4. Ice Machine (Cubes, Water , Ice Cream):
-Follow maintenance rules-periodic: checks
-Keep engine well ventilated not too close a wall.
5. Walk in Coolers and Freezers:
-Never walkin without protective cloth against cold specially if you have been working at the stove.
-Keep inside clean at all time
-frequent washing is must for walk in freezers where meat products are kept.
Do’s and Don’ts for Hot and Mechanical Section equipments:-
1. Follow the instruction manual of the equipment for a periodic check and service
2. Do not linger on any leakages. Get them fixed immediately.
3. Switch off the machines soon after use
4. Wash, clean and wipe the attachments of mixer and slicers.
5. Get the Gas Stoves serviced frequently as it saves and conserves energy.
6. Keep all the machines clean and wiped all the time
7. Deep Fat Fryers should be emptied daily for cleaning
8. Regular Sanitization of small cutters, cutting boards and knives is essential
9. Keep the knives sharp as the sharp knife is the safe knife
10. Repair or replace the unserviceable equipment as soon as possible
Remember a kitchen is a place which is full of Hazards make it a safe place for use by maintaining equipment’s carefully and continuously.